The Deck 2012

Deck Revival

So, I had no intention of blogging about refinishing the rails and floors of the deck, however, after seeing the difference in the floor after applying this product on just a few of the boards I had to share,

DeckScapes® Exterior Oil Semi-Transparent Stain.

What a difference! I like the darker color. It hides lots of old wood warts. If Mother Nature decides to cooperate just a little bit, I can get it done this weekend and set up the deck for the summer. We’ve been putting off a lot of summer living niceness to get this project done, like flowers and furniture!

Dear Mother Nature, Please don’t rain today.

Please remind me never to do the floor and rails/trim in the same summer again. It is taking FOREVER. Actually, it’s going to take three summers; one for the floor, one for half the rails/trim, and another for the other half. Luckily, this year Mother Nature has decided to grant us a perfect summer. It’s been hot but only by Maine standards.

Back to the deck….

We had to remove this board due to rot on the far end. The inside piece was fine…alas.

We had to replace a long board and one on a step. For the one in this picture TK went under the deck and pounded upward with a sledge hammer to loosen the nails. I did not want to dismantle the front part of the screen porch part because the sides were already disconnected from the house in order to paint the inside of the railings. The threshold, I had initially thought, posed a problem, which is the reason for all of this consternation. It turned out not to matter.

The screen surround is a POS, supposed to go on permanent camp ground sites piece of respite we bought at BJ’s, hmmm, 9 years ago. We have to take the roof off, replace it with a plastic tarp (very attractive) and brace it with 2x4s in the winter. In spite of the disrespectful description it has worked very well for us over the years. And, let’s face it, there are far more pressing matters.

The plan of action with the board was to slide it under the rail of the lower landing and bend it enough to make it go under the threshold and slid to the house. Pipe dream, I assure you. Luckily our friend and neighbor, Nils, suggested we pop off a vertical piece of trim on the landing to put the new board through easily. Have I mentioned how much I love my neighbors?

Note the missing pillar. That’s how we got the new deck board into place.

It was really easy to pop the rail off. Just a wood block and hammer did the trick. It took all of 10 minutes to take it off and put it back on. I know, that’s what she said….:)

There was no way the board was bending under the railing, over the floor, and under the threshold. Pipe dream.

But! Without the rail it was an easy installation.

OK, I realize the picture does not depict the eventual, correct installation method. Stubbornly, I tried to do it the other way and when it was time to do it correctly my helpers had gone to watch soccer.

Here’s the new board, installed. This replaces the old board that had 12″ of rot on the end.

I used shims when nailing the new board to get it as straight as possible in the space. And, predrilled holes for the nails.

So, the new board didn’t take the stain the same way as the old boards but it will be aged, and look the same soon enough.

This picture shows the new deck board installed and stained with, believe it or not, the same cedar color as the rest of the deck floor. The new board isn’t aged like the rest of the deck so the color came out lighter. I’m living with it, no problem.

We noticed another board, three over to the left of this board, that is rotting from underneath. I give it three years, tops, before it will also need to be replaced. Eventually, we will end up with a striped deck floor, the way things are going. :)

Using DAP Plastic Wood, I filled an area of this board that had rotted away.

There were two additional areas of concern. This picture shows a long board on the lower deck that had some rot at the end. Instead of replacing the entire 18′ long board I decided to fill the holes with

DAP Products – Repair Products – DAP® Plastic Wood® Solvent Wood Filler (RTU).

It hasn’t rotted through entirely and this makes more sense than replacing the 18′ board – for the time being.

For this step I used an non-rotted part of the board that was replaced on the upper deck and filled in the old nail holes with DAP Plastic Wood. I couldn’t let the perfectly fine piece go to waste.

The contractors who build our deck, while they did an amazing job overall, for some reason built this step using three, instead of two, pieces of wood. I replaced two boards, one of which was rotted, with just a single board across and filled in the nail holes. The filled holes are noticeable if you look closely. Still, much better than it was!

Here’s a small portion of the deck railing and lattice. You can see where the side of the screen porch is disconnected from the house so I could paint the inside of the railing.

For the railing I am using two coats of Sherwin Williams SuperPaint in Birdbath Tan, the same color as the house trim.

SuperPaint® Interior Acrylic Latex Paint.

I’m using a 3″ roller for as much of it as I can. It is taking FOREVER! There is a lot of rail, trim, and lattice on this deck. It’s all been pressure washed to remove the algae and mildew and I’m anxious to finish the painting this summer. It may have to wait until the rains of August are over though…

On to some summer deck niceness!

Scroll to top